It has come to our attention that lots of people are calling for the head of Phillip Fulmer as of late due to the “decline” of the Tennessee football team. Well, it’s not all his fault, and we’re tired of people getting on his case, and not just because if he leaves we’ll have to change our website name. Okay, so, maybe that has a little to do with it, but it’s not the only reason. We genuinely like the guy, and well, okay, we don’t really want to have to register another domain. But still, here are some reasons we at Fulmer’s Belly don’t think it’s the Coach’s fault:
- It’s not his fault that opposing teams “innovate” and change the way they’ve done things for year, leaving us behind.
- It’s not his fault that top 10 recruiting classes always turn out to be busts. It’s like losing with pocket aces every time. It’s crazy.
- It’s not his fault that Randy Sanders didn’t give his best effort as the OC of the Vols, instead, holding out to coach up Andre Woodson to be a Heisman candidate.
- It’s not his fault that McDonald’s changed their fry oil recipe from 100% beef lard to 5% beef lard to now, 100% vegetable oil, zapping the coach (and his belly) of much needed energy and fervor.
- It’s not his fault that people get mad that he hasn’t won a National Championship since 1998, because guess what, neither has Steve Spurrier, Les Miles, Mark Richt or Tubby Smith (huh?).
So, there you have it, now will you leave the man alone? If we can back our way into the SEC Championship Game and will our way to a victory, along with a victory in a BCS bowl, will you leave Phillip alone?
Email this Post